Beef and Broccoli Barley Bowl
2 cups cooked barley
1 tbsp canola oil
200 grams beef striploin or beef tenderloin, sliced
¼ cup red wine, sake or water
4 cups broccoli florets and stems (if using stems, peel away outer layer)
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 tbsp fresh or frozen ginger, grated
1 tbsp fresh or frozen cilantro, chopped
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup low sodium beef stock
½ tsp wasabi
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cornstarch
- Cook barley according to package directions.
- Prepare sauce by mixing soy sauce, beef stock, wasabi, lime juice, honey and pepper
in a medium bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, stirring well until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- Add canola oil to a hot sauté pan. Add beef and sear on high heat for 1-2 minutes or until the outside is browned and the inside is still pink, turn and sear the second side
the same way. Add red wine, sake or water, stirring well.
- Add broccoli, orange pepper, carrots, ginger, cilantro and sauce. Reduce heat to
med-high and stir-fry until broccoli is tender but still vibrant in colour, approximately
- Add cooked barley. Cook for another minute, stirring well.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
Makes 2 meal-sized servings.
Note: Adjust the level of spiciness by altering the amount of wasabi in the sauce. I often mix soy sauce and wasabi in a separate bowl so everyone can add it to there own plate according to their palate.
This recipe gets an orange and multi-coloured star!