Makes 2 cups. Serves 1 as a meal or 2 as a side dish.
1/2 cup green lentils
3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 red pepper, sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint or 2 tsp dried, divided
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper
1. Cook lentils. Bring chicken broth to a boil. Add just under ½ cup raw lentils, rinsed well. Return to boil, lower heat, and simmer partially covered for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through. Drain if necessary.
2. While lentils are cooking, prepare the dressing. With the back of a spoon, smash half of the mint leaves with the lime juice, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. Add olive oil slowly, whisking briskly.
3. Using a fine grater, zest the orange.
4. Remove the rest of the orange peel using a knife, then chop the orange into bite sized pieces.
5. Mix lentils with orange, orange zest, pepper, green onion and the remaining mint. Gently toss with the dressing. Enjoy immediately or chill for up to 2 days.
This recipe gets an orange and multi-coloured star!