Especially rich in: lutein, zeaxanthin, folate, and zinc, with modest amounts of vitamin C. Most of the omega-3s are from plant sources, which are not quite as good as the EPA and DHA in fish. Also rich in: iron, fiber, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, and copper
Makes 6 servings.
· 10 oz. uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
· Olive oil cooking spray
· 1 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced (~ 1 medium onion)
· 3 large clove garlic, minced
· 1/2 cup chicken broth
· 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped (~2 cups)
· 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
· 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 2/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
· 1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, without salting water.
2. While pasta is cooking, spray a large, non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, then stir and cook until slightly transparent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, stir and cook for another minute. Add broth and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, toss, and simmer for 2 minutes. Add spinach and basil, cook and stir for approximately 2 minutes, or until leaves wilt. Remove from heat and salt/pepper to taste.
3. Drain pasta and add to spinach mixture. Thoroughly toss. Serve on a platter and top with gorgonzola and pine nuts.